Our Volunteer Roles
The primary role for our volunteers is to welcome and assist visitors to our ‘home’ at the Beecroft Gallery. No specific experience or knowledge is required to carry out this role but volunteers will be expected to familiarise themselves with some straightforward duties and with the key exhibits in the exhibition, so that they are able to assist visitors.
In addition to this primary role there are opportunities to assist with the following roles:
• Being available to prepare for, supervise and manage live music events at the Centre
• Helping with our fundraising initiatives
• Providing public address facilities for visiting musicians
• Helping our marketing efforts, especially through the internet and social media
• Contributing to the general administration of the charity including business and project planning
• Assisting with the provision of basic catering services
• Assisting with the operation of our retail outlet at the Centre
• Organising and cataloguing the Centre’s assets and artefacts
• General housekeeping of the Centre
All volunteers will be assisted by one of the trustees and/or other experienced volunteers and will choose which activities he/she could be involved in taken account of their skill sets.
Benefits for volunteers
We believe that volunteering with TJCUK provides real rewards:
• Making ‘all things jazz’ accessible to the community for their enjoyment and education
• Being part of the TJCUK family, making new friends and engaging with visitors to the Centre
• Using your existing skills and developing new ones
• Participating in events including regular live music and films shows
There are no specific qualifications required, but basic literacy, computer input skills and enthusiasm for the promotion of music, especially jazz, and a willingness to engage with visitors and other members of the Jazz Centre team will be helpful.
Administration and Office | General helping | Marketing and media
Arts, Heritage and Entertainment
There are no set hours for our volunteer roles. However, as a minimum we would like volunteers to devote two days per month to the Centre. We would expect all volunteers to assist with the primary volunteer role but there is great flexibility to get involved with the additional roles set out above.
In discussion with the trustees, volunteers can effectively create their own role profiles based on their skills and the things they enjoy.
All of our activities currently take place at our home in the Beecroft Gallery, Victoria Avenue, Southend.