Are you a chatty person? If you are that person who loves to pass the time of day, but is also happy to listen, then this would be the role for you.
Published On: 22/05/2023
About this opportunity from Trust Links
Talking Together is a listening and befriending scheme which gives the opportunity for isolated adults with mental health problems to speak regularly to volunteers, and to share their concerns, fears or issues and receive consistent support.
It is entirely telephone and video-call based at present. All volunteers will be trained to provide befriending and listening support to adults in the local south east Essex community, over the phone or via video messaging, to support the Southend COVID-19 response. Volunteers will also be offered the chance to undertake accredited Mental Health First Aid training and other mental health training.
The Volunteer will be required to:
Provide befriending and listening support to adults (via telephone or video messaging) in the local south east Essex community, that have mental health challenges, particularly with anxiety and as a result of social isolation
Have good listening skills, and be able to reflect back and show empathy.
Be available to undergo a video link interview (e.g. Zoom).
Undergo a DBS check
Have a quiet space that they can volunteer from
Volunteer with between 1 or 2 befriendee’s a week, contacting them once per week
Councelling or mentoring skills would be welcomed, but not essential.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE:
· Make weekly contact with befriendees that have been assigned by the Befriending Coordinator
· Raise any issues affecting befriendees with appropriate staff member
· Feedback to staff relevant information relating to befriendees’ progress
· Participate in regular supervision with the Talking Together Coordinator
· Take part in appropriate training and development activities
· Participate in volunteer meetings
· Notify staff if you are unable to provide your regular session
· Ensure Health and Safety regulations are adhered to in line with Trust Links Health and Safety policy
· Ensure Safeguarding requirements are met in line with Trust Links Safeguarding Policy and escalate concerns about the wellbeing of service users to appropriate staff members
· Maintain confidentiality
Supporting charities | Supporting people and befriending | Working from Home
Disability | Health and Social Care | Mental Health
1 - 2 hours required per week - FLEXIBLE working from home! The service will cover the Southend, Canvey Island & Rochford areas.
Find out more
For more information about Trust Links and this role, visit them online.