Are you practical and supportive? Come and work alongside our Housing Support Team; develop your skills in a mental health environment supporting our tenants with everyday enquiries.
Published On: 01/08/2023
About this opportunity from South East and Central Essex MIND
Working alongside the housing support team with the day to day running of our housing scheme. Tasks will include running an activity based group with tenants, light admin duties, supporting small group sessions on varying topics and offering support and advice to tenants who “call or drop into” the office. This could be on diverse range of topics from practical advice such as cooking or managing bills, to mental health support . Another important function of the role is operating our PACE ( Police and Criminal Act) appropriate adult service that support those held in custody who have a ‘mental vulnerability’.
this is great opportunity to work within a small team to gain skills in supporting others and would suit someone who is caring and enjoys supporting and empowering other people. As a volunteer you will gain experience of working in a professional mental health environment, knowledge of local and national services, receive low cost CPD (Continuing Professional Development) if desired including all those listed on our training calendar, have travel expenses paid and free tea and coffee, as well as a great sense of purpose helping people.
We have a small but highly supportive and dedicated team and are looking for volunteers to offer activity based groups, widen our experience and support that can truly empower our tenants to live more independent and fulfilling lives.
– Be non-judgemental.
– Understand the importance of boundaries and confidentiality.
– Have good verbal and written communication skills.
– Have active listening skills.
– Work well as part of a team, but also able to work independently using your own initiative.
– Have an understanding of equality and diversity, and knowledge of ensuring Equal Opportunities.
– Be able to present a professional image when representing the organisation and when meeting service users.
– Have some computer skills (use of Microsoft Office – Word and Outlook essential, Excel and Access an advantage)
– Have worked or volunteered in the public sector.
– Remain calm and professional in challenging.
– Have some experience of supporting people with their mental health.
Advice and information | General helping | Practical Skills | Supporting charities | Supporting people and befriending
Health and Social Care | Homeless and Housing | Mental Health
We are looking for those who can offer a minimum of a six month commitment. For more flexible roles please see our website for any up to date roles on offer. The service operates during usual office hours of 9am-5pm Monday to Friday and we are looking for people who can make a commitment during these times, between 2 and 6 hours at a time
Find out more
For more information about South East and Central Essex MIND and this role, visit them online.